Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Rigorous Application Process (Part One of my Dazzling Career as a Cold Caller)

It all started when people started mentioning that college would end. Prior to that I'd been happily existing in a poetry bubble.
The more people mentioned deadlines and the end of our Masters the more anxious I became.
 In fact the term "melt down" possibly applies.
It wasn't long before I'd abandoned all college work in search of the perfect job.
I readied myself for my inbox to be bombarded with responses.
Sitting at my laptop waiting for employment was an exercise which almost broke me...
It would have broken me, given that it's best not to know that your application to flip burgers hasn't even been entertained, only that someone eventually called me.
It was a call back from a construction company. Given that I was considered undesirable at key employment centres such as the local petrol station, I immediately agreed to an interview. I spent the next two days doing a crash-course on passive housing. I was going to triumph or so I thought.

3 comments:

  1. Alvy your black humour deals with a desperately sad situation. When I lived in Ireland I saw too many smart, well-educated young people leave college and uni with little or no hope of getting fixed up. Unpaid work experience was the best that some ever managed. My generation was one in which you could more or less name your job assuming you had the minimum qualifications required. Looking forward to 'call centre' which is surely the last throw of anyone's dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup there aren't many of my friends the same age left in the country. They're all gallivanting across the world for better opportunities.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alvy - good luck. It is a similar situation for young adults even down here in the South East of England. I think your writing completely covers how the effect of job hunting can bring you right down. It is the same the other end of the age scale (I can confirm). Keep up with your writing I am sure there are great things out there for you in that job market.

    ReplyDelete

Follow This Blog

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner